The biggest obstacle homeowners face when looking to fix or replace their roof is choosing the right person to do the job. After a damaging storm, they need to quickly get back to normal and perform the necessary roofing repairs. But that doesn’t mean they should just choose the first contractor who knocks on their door. Finding a contractor who is trustworthy, honest, and professional may sound difficult, as a new roof is a major investment that typically costs thousands of dollars.
The materials themselves represent a relatively small portion of the bill. The bulk of what you’ll spend goes for the skilled labour involved. And that makes choosing an experienced professional roofing contractors Troy, Michigan, is the best way to protect your investment and ensure a leakproof job.
You could get stuck with an inexperienced roofer or someone who’s going to overcharge you because you’re desperate. Taking the time to find an experienced and reliable roofer before there’s a problem can save you money and headaches. For that purpose, you should follow the following guidelines.
- Contact three roofing contractors.
- Verify that the roofing contractor you hire has the required applicable business licenses for your state or local area.
- Verify that the roofing contractor or business is legitimate by asking for their tax identification number, a business address, business website or email address, and contact phone number.
- Ask the roofing contractor to provide you with proof of insurance, including worker’s compensation and liability coverage.
- Ask the roofing contractor for a list of references and past clients you can call to find out if they were satisfied with the work done on their roof.
- Ask your roofing contractor for proof that shows they have been approved by the roofing manufacturer to install or work on the roof you have chosen.
- Ask the roofing contractor how many people will be working on the roofing project for your home so you can determine how the work will be supervised and how long it will take to complete.
- Read the warranty information for your project in full and check for understanding with the roofing contractor regarding any actions or exceptions that may possibly void the warranty.
- Obtain a contract or detailed proposal in writing from the roofing contractor that will provide explicit information regarding the project.
- Research and obtain the services, fees, and warranties provided by several different roofing contractors before making the final hiring decision.
Read online reviews of the roofers that have been recommended to you. You can also do a general search for roofers in your area if you couldn’t get any recommendations. There are many websites allow you to read reviews of local services that are written by previous customers. Some of these sites can also help match you with a local roofer who specializes in the repairs that you need to be done.