Children are natural born acrobats and given the ample energy they have it is an amazing idea to introduce them to healthy lifestyle. Introducing children to yoga will help them live healthy and happy. Yoga is an excellent way to handle the academic and peer pressure faced too early in life. It will not only help them to stay healthy but also increases concentration, confidence and energy.
Before we go on to yoga asanas for kids, let’s check out the benefits of the same-
- Yoga develops awareness of body, mind and breath.
- Builds attention span and concentration power.
- Gives a boost to imagination and creativity.
- Fosters a positive self-image and increases confidence.
- Helps overcome negative emotions like jealousy, fear and anger.
- Reduces obsession with TV and other electronic devices
- Relieves mental and physical fatigue.
- Boosts energy levels and provides deep relaxation too.
- Helps in building healthy eating habits.
Here are some easy and quick asanas (parental guidance is must) –
1. Sarvangasana – Shoulder Stand Pose
Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. This asana is highly beneficial in maintaining the mental and physical health and is also referred as ‘Queen of asanas’.
- Nourishes the brain by increasing blood flow to it.
- Keeps the spine flexible, ensuring participation in a wide range of physical activities. If your child has spine problems, take him or her immediately to chiropractor downers grove so they can correct it early.
2. Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose)
Virabhadrasana has profound established history and mythology connected to it. Meaning of “Vira” is a hero, warrior, vigorous, courageous; “Bhadra” means –Friend, good, auspicious.
- Increases stamina
- Tones the arms and leg muscles.
- Helps improve balance in the body.
3. Vrikshasana (Tree Pose)
Sanskrit word comprising of It comprises two words Vriksh means tree and asana indicating towards a Yogic posture. While performing, it gives the true spirit of tree, thus named as tree pose.
- Tones the arms and legs, Children are able to enjoy physical activities.
- Helps strengthen the back, thereby increasing height.
- Enhances mind-body balance.
4. Dhanurasana (Bow Pose)
Dhanurasana, also known as the bow pose, is a yoga exercise which is credited to relieving stress and anxiety, among other benefits.
- Makes the back strong and flexible.
- Helps relieve stress and fatigue.
Visit a Chiropractor Marietta GA if your child show signs of back pain.
5. Shavasana (Corpse Pose)
Savasana is a pose of total relaxation—making it one of the most challenging for kids to stay still.
- Rejuvenates the body. Releases stress and fatigue.
- Calms the mind, improving concentration.
- Stimulates blood circulation, energizing the body.
6. Surya Namaskar (Sun Salutation)
Surya Namaskar is a set of asanas that massages, detoxifies, and stimulates almost every organ of the human body and it also benefits one in weight loss.
- Relaxes the nervous system. This helps overcome issues like stage fright.
- Increases flexibility in the legs and hips. Improves motion.
- Increases flexibility and posture.
- Improves memory.
Kids are more receptive towards natural surroundings and love to left free, yoga for kids should stimulate positive energy flow, here are few tips which help you to practice it freely –
- Feel free to adapt or change the yoga poses as per needs
- Focus on having fun with movement instead of following the exact poses
- Engage Children in the process, explaining the benefits will help them relate to yoga easily.
- Channel kids’ energy in different learning styles and let them enjoy
- Wear comfortable clothing and practice barefoot. Be safe.
- Teach them yoga with a story, tell A Sun Salutation Story Every Morning.
- End the day with Three Deep, Deep and Deep Breaths.
Yoga for kids needs to be both fun and creative, with given time kids enjoy active and meditative parts of the practice. Yoga can change the life and what better you can give to your children other than a beautiful and healthy life. Let’s Live Impressive!