When you’re a student moving into a new apartment, or maybe even your first apartment, buying furniture can feel overwhelming. You’re on a strict budget cobbled together out of summer jobs, parental help, and student loans (that are mostly already spoken for). You can still buy a brand-new, stylish sofa on a budget, though.
It’s easy to save money sofa shopping online. Today, competitive online furniture stores offer free delivery on major purchases like sofas and other furniture. Delivery can otherwise be an expensive part of buying a sofa from a store. Not only that, online-only furniture stores have lower overheads. They don’t have to pay for stores or sales personnel, so they can afford better prices.
Traditional furniture stores are under a lot of pressure thanks to online competitors who offer lower prices, free shipping, and no-pressure sales tactics. When you do all your shopping online, there’s no one to try to talk you into a purchase or warranties you don’t want. You can also easily compare prices and styles when you shop online. Unfortunately, that means some furniture stores have started coming up with financing deals that should make you think twice. Here is what you should watch out for:
- Distracting discounts – sometimes you may see inflated price tags only for furniture stores to make discount deals that sound too good to be true.
- Interest-free financing – these often mean “deferred interest” financing deals, which means you get a free period, but if you don’t pay off the furniture in that time, you can face interest rates as high as 20 to 30 percent.
Now that you know what to watch out for, it’s time to start thinking positively. What kind of sofa style do you want in your new apartment? As a student, budget will always be a big consideration, but you should still be able to find a sofa that’s on-trend and well-made.
1) Make Sure Your New Sofa Fits Through the Door – It sounds obvious, but you’d be surprised how often that becomes an issue. Before you pay, make sure you measure your doorway, especially in a new apartment. Look carefully and measure from all points, including moldings and lock sets, as well as height. It also helps to account for any angles in the hallway leading up to the door.
2) Choose Classic Styles – Bolder and trendy styles are great if you plan on replacing it every few years. Stick to classic sofa styles that won’t go out of style any time soon. It’s going to be a long time before you feel comfortable enough to replace your furniture, so stick to classic colors and styles that won’t seem dated in just a few years.
3) Accessories with Pillows and Throws – It’s much easier to update your living room look by changing pillows, throws, and rugs. Use these to change color schemes and update your style, while keeping your sofa style timeless. You won’t regret making a more reserved choice of sofa in several years’ time.
An important part of furniture buying is saving money in the long run. A quality sofa can last you for years. Buy a quality sofa on a budget for your new apartment.